Table of Contents
- 10 Best Mouse Traps Compared
- 10 Best Mouse Traps Reviews 2018
- Snap-E Mouse Trap – Best Outdoor Mouse Trap
- PestZilla Electronic Rat Trap – Best Electronic Mouse Trap
- AB Pro-Quality Live Humane Animal Trap – Best Humane Mouse Trap
- Catcha 2 Piece Humane Smart Mouse Trap
- Rat Zapper Classic Trap – Best Alternative to Snap Trap
- Victor M240 Electronic Rat Trap
- Intruder 30442 The Better Mousetrap
- Vensmile Humane Smart Mouse Trap – Best No Kill Live Catch Mouse Trap
- Media Mouse Trap– Safer Than Glue and Poison Traps
- Ankace Rat/Mice Trap – Big sized Snap Power Rodent Killer
- Types of Mouse Traps
- Features to Look For the Best Mouse Trap
- How to Catch a Mouse Alive
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Final Verdict
What is the best mouse trap on the market today? That’s usually the first question that comes to mind when you see a rodent running away into the dark unreachable spaces in your kitchen. I don’t like seeing mice in my clean house and I’m sure you too hate seeing them running around. However, not every one of us has the ability, or strength of will, to smash a mouse dead when you come across one.
You could probably call a pest control expert to handle the situation. But that’s a rather inconvenient and often costly decision. The only solution left is to find the best trap that can effectively get rid of the pesky mouse from your house.There are numerous types of rat traps on the market today. By now you’ve probably tried most of them with varying degrees of success.
You could also have read many mouse trap reviews online. But instead of making decisions, you may be ended up getting overwhelmed by the huge number of recommended rat traps. This compilation of mouse trap reviews and buyer’s guide will show you different types and models of traps. And it will help you make a more informed buying decision when looking for the most suitable rodent control solution.
10 Best Mouse Traps Compared
We took the trouble to research and examine different mouse trap options available. In the end, we came up with a list of the best 10 best mice traps to buy. Our list includes both elimination and humane catch-and-release traps. We compiled this mouse trap review to help you find the most effective way to end rodent infestation in your home or workplace. These are all top performing rat traps that actually work as advertised.
10 Best Mouse Traps Reviews 2018
Snap-E Mouse Trap – Best Outdoor Mouse Trap
Snap traps have retained the same design and functionality for a long time. However, the Snap-E comes with a few tweaks and modifications to improve effectiveness. You can use it to eliminate both mice and chipmunks from your home. It actually comes with the design similar to the basic snap mousetrap but with a few more significant tweaks.
For instance, unlike the traditional snap trap, the Snap-E has a vertical snap bar that travels the distance and takes half the time to catch the rodent. And that is why you can use it for both indoor and outdoor.
- It is made of strong and durable steel and polystyrene materials
- It cooks the bait in just ten minutes saving you time and efforts
- Unlike traditional wooden snap traps, the Snap-E is both stain and odor resistant. No more suffering the stench of a dead mouse in your clean interiors.
- It can be reused over and over again for years with a minimum requirement for service. You won’t need to buy another one for years to come.
- It has a quick response time. The rodent has zero chance of survival
- It has an extra large trip paddle that can catch the mouse from the front, back, and both sides. This increases efficiency four-fold.
PestZilla Electronic Rat Trap – Best Electronic Mouse Trap
The PestZilla Electronic Rodent Trap provides an effective way of eliminating mice, rats, squirrels etc. It uses a powerful 7,000 volts electronic shock that kills the rodent instantly without causing pain and suffering. The electronic trap comes with an automatic precision sensor that can tell when a rodent is approaching the bait.
It uses 4D batteries or an electric plug-in cable that comes attached to the trap. The electronic trap has a light on the top that blinks to alert you as soon as the rodent has been zapped. This ensures that you don’t have to open it and physically check inside. You can use it anywhere in your house.
- Comes with an accurate detection technology that senses when a rodent is approaching the bait
- Powerful 7,000 volts shock that kills rodents instantly without much suffering
- Can kill mice, rats, squirrels, chipmunks etc.
- It’s easy to use. Simply put the batteries in, place the bait, and leave it to do its thing
- Has a five-foot plug-in adapter.
- It’s an effective rodent control electronic trap for homes, offices, warehouses, and many other places.
AB Pro-Quality Live Humane Animal Trap – Best Humane Mouse Trap
The AB Pro-Quality Live is a humane catch and release mouse trap. It can effectively catch a wide range of small rodents including mice, rats, and even squirrels. The trap has a size of just 10.5 x 5.5 x 4.5 inches but is effective enough to arrest small rodents without causing them injury.
You can use this trap for both indoor and outdoor. It is also safe for children as it does not involve the use of poisons or chemicals. And that’s why for me, this is the best mouse trap ever.
- Very easy to use which comes with a simple set up instructions included.
- Provides the most humane way of getting rid of rodents from your home. It doesn’t kill or injure the trapped rodent. Any animal caught unintentionally, such as your kitten, can be released
- Safe for use in a home with children. It doesn’t use poisons or chemicals.
- It has an effective locking mechanism that ensures the caught animal does not escape.
- Animal Rights Organizations from all over the world suggest to use the humane traps such as AB Pro-Quality.
Catcha 2 Piece Humane Smart Mouse Trap
The Catcha 2 Piece Smart Mouse Trap provides a more humane way of catching and releasing unwanted mice. It is a better alternative to poisons and snap traps. It simply lets you capture mice without killing them. All you need to do is place the bait, such as butter, on a small compartment.
The bait lures the mouse inside where the gate will instantly close once the mouse triggers the trap. You can then release the rodent anywhere far away from your home. That is why this mouse trap is considered as one of the best live mouse trap ever.
- It’s an effective way of capturing rodents without killing them
- Eco-friendly and safe as it doesn’t use poisons, glue, or chemicals.
- Easy disposal system that ensures you don’t touch the caught mice and risk contracting diseases
- It is reusable. Simply clean it after releasing the mice and set it again. It provides an economical rodent control solution.
- A humane trap supported by the Humane Societies and Animal Rights Organizations
Rat Zapper Classic Trap – Best Alternative to Snap Trap
The Rat Zapper Classic Trap is made to euthanize effectively in the best way possible. It kills mice instantly using a powerful electric shock. It is a user-friendly mouse trap too. Just insert the batteries, place the bait, and turn the power on. The light indicator on top of the mouse trap immediately blinks red when a kill happens.
You won’t even see the dead rodent when disposing of it. Simply tip the trap to throw the rodent into a trash can. It is a hygienic no-see no-touch mouse trap.
- Kills mice fast and in the most humane way possible
- You can easily use it. It doesn’t have a complicated setup process.
- It uses four AA batteries that can last for as long as 60 days. The batteries can kill twenty rats.
- It allows a hands-free, no see disposal of dead mice. This is quite hygienic.
- It is a perfect trap, especially in heavily infested homes
- It has a light indicator that blinks to tell you a kill has just happened.
- Doesn’t require poisons or chemicals.
- It is reusable and lasts for a long time, saving you money in the long run.
Victor M240 Electronic Rat Trap
The Victor M240 Electronic Rat Trap is an effective rodent control solution for your home or workplace. It is powerful enough to kill fifty rats from one set of fully charged batteries. In addition, it is very easy to use. It is the best mice trap to have in a heavily infested home. Just place a tempting bait item in the trap’s bait cup and turn on the trap.
It has advanced technology that can sense the rat as soon as it enters before delivering a shock to the rodent. Considering its features, we can't help to reward as the best rat trap in our list.
- Delivers a big shock which kills the rodent instantly.
- Powerful enough to kill up to fifty rats in a single charge
- Delivers a powerful shock for 2 minutes to ensure the rat is dead
- Eliminates a single rat per setting
- Made for indoor use only
- Does not use poisons and chemicals which makes it safe for use anywhere at home or work
- It has a green LED light that blinks to show you a kill has occurred
Intruder 30442 The Better Mousetrap
If you are tired of seeing rats stealing your baits and scurrying away to safety, then this is a great mouse trap for you. The Better Mousetrap from Intruder is strong enough to kill rats and mice that can do a prison break from snap bars and other traps. It has a minimalist design and comparatively fewer mechanical parts than other snap traps.
However, it exerts 30 percent more power to pin down any mouse instantly. It catches and kills mice instantly without contact. It is also safe for children.
- It has a stainless steel spring
- No mouse can escape its grip. No more losing your baits
- Made of tough plastic capable of suffocating mice without causing cuts or other bloody messes and odors
- Allows you to dispose of the dead mouse without touching it
- A durable and reusable snap trap
Vensmile Humane Smart Mouse Trap – Best No Kill Live Catch Mouse Trap
If you are looking for an easy and effective way to trap mice without killing them, the Vensmile Humane Mouse Trap is a great option. It is durable, safe, and completely disposable. It is not affected by weather changes and is reusable too. This humane smart mouse trap is very easy to use.
Simply put the bait carefully inside the trap, and the mouse’s weight will activate the fulcrum and trap the mouse as soon as it enters inside the pack. Vensmile Smart Mouse Trap is a very high-quality catch-and-release model.
Besides being humane, it also has a 60-days money back guarantee and can be cleaned with hot water so you can eliminate stains and odor.
- An easy to use smart trap
- It comes with two no kill live catch traps
- Designed for use in all seasons. It’s effective even in hot weather conditions.
Media Mouse Trap– Safer Than Glue and Poison Traps
The black colored Media Mouse Trap is built to efficiently eliminate mice and other household rodents. It comes with a spring-loaded mechanism that is quickly triggered when a mouse steps on the pressure plate. Unlike the traditional snap traps that use a slim metal bar to snap the mouse, the Media trap drops down the entire top of the trap to suffocate the intruder in just 15 to 20 seconds.
It has a strong durable construction made of stainless steel and polystyrene. The trap is available in a set of two, four, or six traps.
- Available in a clean gloss black color
- Its precision stainless steel spring is powerful enough to hold large rats
- Made of tough non-absorbent plastic that can suffocate mice without causing cuts, bruises, or other bloody messes
- It has an easy to use design. Setting it up is faster and easier than the traditional wooden traps.
- Comes with a 12-month warranty from the manufacturer.
Ankace Rat/Mice Trap – Big sized Snap Power Rodent Killer
The Ankace Big Mouse Rodent Killer is a highly effective mouse trap. It makes it faster and easier to eliminate rodents from your house. No rodent can escape once it touches the trap’s pedal. It works perfectly with both solid and liquid baits. It is available in a pack of 6 traps complete with a rope hole.
- It is made of high-quality plastic which is not only durable but easy to clean too
- It can be reused for many years
- Unlike wooden traps, it doesn’t leave bad odors and stains. It’s a clean and hygienic way to eliminate rodents.
- It is quite easy to set up. Simply turn the trap upside down, place the bait and turn on the bait cup. Then push the mouse trap and place it where mice frequent.
- Kills large rodents such as chipmunks, squirrels, voles, rats, and other annoying animals.
- Kills the rodent instantly without causing a lot of suffering
Types of Mouse Traps
Mouse traps provide an effective non-toxic method of controlling rodent infestation in your home, commercial kitchen, or warehouse. They come in 4 types namely snap traps, catch-and-release traps, and glue traps.
Snap traps, especially the wooden variety have a long history that goes back over 100 years. They are still used in millions of homes and workplaces around the world to eliminate rodents. Besides, this is the oldest and most effective rodent control solution. Generally, all snap traps come with a kill bar that breaks the rodent’s neck in one powerful swift stroke.
Today’s snap traps have a few tweaks and modifications to improve efficiency and instantly kill the rodent without causing much suffering. They are also made of non-absorbent plastic or non-stick stainless steel that’s easy to clean.
- Available in two options, one is reusable and another is disposal.
- It can be placed indoors or outdoors.
- It's possible to see the dead rat or mice.
- You can opt for a snap trap that has the scent of a pre-baited cheese.
- There's no longer a need to use rat poison or chemicals.
- It has a killer bar, which makes catching mice even more effective.
- It's a very economical way to trap a mouse.
- There's no indication on mice or rat kills.
- It can only kill one mouse at a time.
- If you'll go for the reuse option, you'll need to clean the snap trap after the release of a captured mouse, which is a hassle.
- There's a risk of getting hurt when setting up the trap. Pets could get hurt as well if the trap is placed in areas where pets often pass by.
Electronic Mouse Trap
Electronic rat and mouse traps may be relatively new in the market but have a high success rate of eliminating rodents. They cause instant death to the rodent through electrocution, delivered by a high voltage shock. They are easy to use and provide a fast, instant, and humane kill.
Electronic mouse traps are reusable and can last for years. Another good thing about this type of rat trap is the fact that it is enclosed in a plastic cover. This ensures that you don’t have to see or touch the dead rodent inside if you don’t want to. They are clean and hygienic.
They work well in places with heavy rodent infestation. You need batteries or a plug-in adapter to power the trap. Click here to know how it works?
- Kills mice quick and in a more humane way.
- Easy to set up.
- Killed mice can be easily disposed of without having to see or touch them.
- There's no indication on mice or rat kills.
- It could cost you more money, especially if you have more than one rodent to kill.
- Kills the mouse immediately without any chance to be released alive.
Catch and Release Mouse Trap
Catch and release mouse traps provide the most humane way of getting rid of rodents from your home or office. They help to catch the rodent alive then release it back to the environment away from your home. They are quite economical too as they can catch multiple mice in a single setting. Some models can capture as many as 30 mice.
They don’t have a kill mechanism as they are not designed to kill but simply lure in the rodents and trap them inside the trap. Most models are large enough to capture other bigger animals such as squirrels, voles, and shrews. They are also safe to use in homes with kids because they don’t have dangerous poisons and chemicals.
- A no-kill and more humane way of trapping a mouse. Thus, if you're someone who can't bear the thought of killing a living creature, then this is a good option. As I hate animal cruelty, I personally encourage people to use this type of mouse traps.
- The trap has to be monitored regularly because you cannot just leave the mouse for too long. It must immediately be relocated outdoors for the mouse to be released.
- You may need to handle the trapped mice and drive them to some far-away place to be released. If you're going to release the mice near your house, there's a possibility that they will keep on coming back.
Glue Mouse Trap
Glue mouse traps are used to eliminate mice and other small rodents. The glue trap uses powerful sticky glue evenly spread on a cardboard surface to trap mice and rats. It is quite easy to use and monitor.
You only need to open the glue board and place a few crumbles of bait at the center and the rodent will get stuck on the board when it walks in to eat the bait. Glue traps are inexpensive and effective but removing the stuck mouse from the board is something I personally wouldn’t want to try. I hate to see animals suffer.
- Extremely easy to set up.
- If used properly, the trap is very effective even if you don’t put any bait.
- The mouse can be disposed of without the need to touch it.
- Some people find it a cruel and inhumane way to kill a living creature.
- It’s only good for one use.
- Live release will not be possible.
- Should be kept far away from the kids and pets.
We don’t encourage in any way the use of glue mouse traps. It’s an inhumane and cruel way to kill mice. Please keep this in mind. Thank you!
Features to Look For the Best Mouse Trap
Here are some of the key features to consider when shopping for a good mousetrap:
The Materials Used In its Construction
There are several things you need to consider when it comes to materials used to construct the mousetrap. First and foremost, it should be designed using sturdy and durable materials such as stainless steel or heavy duty plastic. You obviously want a trap that will last a long time because rodent visitors have a way of dropping by every so often.
A long lasting and reusable mousetrap will save you money in the long run. Secondly, you need a clean mousetrap made of non-absorbent materials that will always stay clean and dry. A good snap trap made of stainless steel or non-absorbent materials should be able to catch and kill the rodent without causing messy bruises and cuts.
The Design of The Mousetrap
The design you choose will largely depend on the type of mousetrap you want to use. Mice traps are available in different shapes and designs. Whichever type or design you go for, just make sure it is easy to set up and, most importantly, allows you to dispose of the seized mouse without touching it with your hands or fingers.
Hands-free disposal of dead mice is not only hygienic but prevents the risk of contracting diseases associated with rodents too. If you choose to go for a snap trap, make sure its design incorporates proper tension that allows the trap to instantly snap on the rodent and hold it firmly until you remove it.
An electric mousetrap should ideally have blinking LED lights that alert you when the culprit has been zapped.
The Size of The Trap
The size of the mousetrap does matter too. A small trap will be of little or no use when you have an infestation of large rats or mice. Take time to observe the type of rats or mice frequenting your home and choose an appropriately sized trap.
A catch-and-release trap should have sufficient volume to catch a good number of mice, especially in heavily infested environments.
Energy Usage in Electronic Trap
If you go for an electric model, check if it is powered by batteries, AC plug-in adapter, or both. This type of mousetrap works best when its batteries are fully charged. Its packaging may claim that it can kill up to 50 mice per battery charge.
But in reality, its performance declines as the batteries gradually lose charge. It is advisable to go for an electric model with the AC adapter option. >
Your pursuit to get rid of rodents from your home should not be prioritized over the safety of your children and pets. An electric or snap mouse trap can cause serious harm to children and pets if placed within their reach. Make sure the trap doesn’t have tunnels wide enough for children or pets to stick their hands inside.
Most importantly, avoid any type of mice trap that uses poisons or harmful chemicals to kill rodents. It is not safe for home or office use.
How to Catch a Mouse Alive
I personally don’t like causing harm or killing animals. I hate animal cruelty and don’t have the stomach to watch any animal, including pests, suffer a painful death. Although mice are unhygienic, destroy household stuff, and can spread diseases, I wouldn’t want to harm or kill the little creatures. After all, they are just mice being mice.
I’d rather catch them alive and relocate them back to their natural habitat away from my home. This is why I strongly advocate for the use of catch-and-release mice traps. You won’t cause any harm to the rodent when you catch and release it back to the environment. There are many ways of catching a mouse alive.
The easiest method by far is using any of the multiple catch-and-release traps available on the market. Most of these traps have a cage-like design or a plastic body and a trap door. All you need to do is place a bait item such as grains or food inside the trap.
As soon as the rat walks in to eat the bait, a trap door closes instantly leaving the mouse imprisoned inside the trap. Keep in mind that you’ll need to release the mouse as soon as possible as I may die of dehydration if left inside the trap for several days. Read more to learn how you can catch a mouse alive.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Can I Put on Mouse Traps?
Mouse trap bait lures the rodent into the trap so you should use an item that mice like eating. Mice, like all rodents, are natural seed eaters and are usually attracted to high calorie fatty foods and sweets. Soft cheese or peanut butter works best.
Other items you can use include gumdrops, marshmallows, beef jerky, and nesting material such as twine, yarn, and dental floss.
How Do I Set Up a Mousetrap Without Hurting Yourself?
Setting up a mousetrap without hurting yourself is not hard. All you need is a pair of steady hands, confidence, and knowledge of how to do it. If you are not careful when setting up a wooden snap trap, you could end up catching and injuring your finger.
To avoid injury, use a pair of needle pliers or screwdriver to remove set the trap. You can also place your thumb firmly in the corner of the kill bar to ensure that it doesn’t snap on your finger. Keep your fingers away from the way of the kill bar just in case the trap accidentally goes off while you are holding it.
How Do I Clean Mousetraps?
It is important to clean the mousetraps properly to avoid mouse-transmitted diseases such as Hantavirus. Be very careful when you get into direct contact with a trap that has already killed a mouse. Ensure your hands are safely inside a pair of gloves before you do anything.
You could spray the rodent and trap with a good bleach solution and then place the rodent inside a plastic bag. Spray it once more with the bleach and leave it to dry before reusing it.
How Many Traps Should I Set?
Depending on the level of rodent infestation in your home, use as many traps as possible. Keep in mind that mice reproduce fast. They can have a litter of six to seven young ones every 21 days. You may not know how fast they are taking over your home until it’s too late.
To stop the invasion, you need to get rid of the mice as fast as possible. a good strategy is to place a trap every 2 or 3 feet along the wall in places with signs of mice activity. Place three or more traps in areas with the highest mice traffic.
A mouse trap may seem like a simple easily available item. But getting the right one is not easy, especially when your decision largely depends on what you intend to do with the caught mouse. Is your objective to kill and eliminate the culprit or catch the rodent live? How do you intend to dispose of the dead or alive pest?
These are some of the questions you need ask when looking for the best mouse trap. I have selected the top 10 mouse trap products in this review to address multiple rodent control needs of different households. The list includes options for those seeking for a humane way of getting rid of mice and other rodents as well as fast elimination options for those with heavy mice infestation in their homes.
I have included products with different price points to cater to different budgets. There’re at least one or two mouse trap products in this review that meets your rodent control needs. Check the features, pros, and cons of each trap to find out which works best for your home or office.